Thursday, October 20, 2005

Knee-jerk Anti-Americanism

Sometimes I am amazed at how anti-American some Americans can be.

I was having a conversation with the lady that runs the local shipping store. We got talking about how it is difficult to ship to various countries for different reasons. Shipping to Africa she said, was almost pointless because of the corruption. I related a situation that I heard from a friend in Africa about the bribes that it took to get anything done.

I can imagine a rainbow of responses relating to bad governments, underdeveloped countries, greed, etc. But her response was astounding. She said "We know where they learned that."

You learn something every day. I would have thought that Africans would be responsible for corruption in Africa. Silly me. It is obviously America (and maybe England) that has corrupted the world. Had westerners never colonized Africa, they would have never conceived of the very idea of corruption. Perhaps there was a Ministry of Corruption official responsible for teaching the necessary level of corruption to utopian natives.

No comments: