Thursday, August 18, 2005

Cell Phone Silliness

I'd never be a member of a club that would have me as a member.
- Groucho Marx

There are millions of phones in the Verizon "In" network. All of them can call my phone number for free any time of day. Mine is not one of them. I cannot call my own number to check my voicemail without being charged for airtime.

I can check my voicemail free from millions of Verizon phones. I can check my voicemail free from millions of landline phones. My wife and I can use each others phones to check our own voicemail. Checking from my own phone costs me airtime. That is silly.

It's doubly silly when you realize that to chat with another Verizon customer, there are two of us using cell phone channels. For me to check my voicemail would take half the resources.

I am a member of a club with millions of others, but not myself.

No comments: